Whether you’re putting off that research paper until the last minute, or leaving the biggest job task for last, procrastination has gotten a
grasp of you. Any individual that has attained any level of success in their life will tell you that you had better jump off of that boat as soon as possible.
With the constant bombardment of distractions such as new television series, sporting events and social engagements it has become easier and easier to put off the important things for later. What you may not take into consideration is the fact that you will never really experience the entirety of your success until you break the habit of procrastination. Oftentimes we have all good intentions when we procrastinate; we “have it all planned out”, but more times than not it goes nowhere near what was planned, then we beat ourselves up in frustration as to why we didn’t get started earlier.
As hard as it may be, if you actually take the initiative to get up and take action immediately on your task at hand you will very soon thereafter realize how beneficial it was and you will thank yourself for being disciplined enough to do so.
Related article: 7 Things To Give Up Before Success Can Be Yours
So what are some ways to fight procrastination?
- As some associates of mine once taught me; plan your work and work your plan.
- What you want to do is at the beginning of each week, (preferably Sunday evening), sit down with your calendar and plan out the next 7 days. Be honest with yourself by making the week’s tasks doable, but also make them challenging because you want to be continuously growing.
- Another tip is to tackle the most demanding tasks first. When you successfully complete a demanding task early in the week or early in the day it sets you up for a week of success. You have knocked out the biggest beast and everything else should fall together without much difficulty.
- Make to-do-lists. When you make a to-do-list it gives you a guide for your day. As you go through your day and complete your tasks you will see your list growing smaller which gives a sense of satisfaction which in turn excites you push harder to ensure that you demolish the entire list.
- Stop talking and start acting. So many people like to sound as if they are busy or have a lot on their plate, but most of the time they are simply stating what they WANT to do as opposed to what we are actually doing. It’s feels good to boast about what you are doing, until someone calls you out on your bull. If you want to step into success you MUST take NIKE’s advice and “Just Do It!”
- Disconnect your cable TV! Numerous individuals waste away hours and hours watching their favorite television shows every week when they could be working towards making their dreams become a reality. This can be very difficult when you have a significant other or you are married. Your partner will most likely want to spend leisure time with you by lounging around in front of your big screen TV, but it’s up to you to let them know where your priorities lie.
There are obviously numerous ways to fight procrastination that I will touch on in another article. Until then, go set some goals, and DEMOLISH them!
Check out this video by Eric Thomas on Procrastination:
Lets make it happen guys, starting TODAY